International search underway for driver in Barcelona attack

Authorities believe there may have been 12 men involved in the twin attacks that hit Spain last week in Barcelona and Cambrils.

Since last year's truck attack in Nice, the city has launched a 30 million-euro ($35.3 million) security effort aimed primarily at "keeping pedestrians and vehicles as far apart as possible", according to municipal security chief Lauriano Azinheirinha.

Among neighbours, friends and former employers, no one saw any outward sign of budding extremism. They didn't pray very much.

Another three people have been identified but are still at large. But at least eight of the suspects in Ripoll, a two-hour drive from Barcelona, went below the radars and police have said none were under surveillance as foreign fighters.

The investigation is also focusing on imam Abdelbaki Es Satty, who is suspected of radicalizing the group behind the Barcelona attack.

Catalonia's regional police identified three of the suspects who were killed as Moroccan nationals.

Police killed the five attackers, some of whom were wearing fake explosive belts.

According to Friday's figures by Spain's law enforcement, 61 people injured in the Barcelona attack and four Cambrils attack victims were being treated in hospitals.

In a poignant moment on Friday, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, Spanish King Felipe VI and the president of Catalonia held a minute of silence in Barcelona.

He read aloud a telegram of condolences sent by Pope Francis, who called the attacks a "cruel terrorist act" and a "grave offence to God". The 61-year-old, from Zaragoza, north-east Spain, was with her husband and sister, who were both injured in the attack. The people inside huddled around TVs, Grahn said, waiting for information.

An Edmonton man travelling in Spain said it's "pure luck" his family wasn't caught in a deadly van attack on Barcelona's Las Ramblas Thursday.

Around 34 nationalities were among those wounded in Las Ramblas and in Cambrils, which lies around 70 miles to the south west.

One woman died and five others were injured before police shot and killed all five attackers. He also spoke perfect Catalan, said a neighbour.

"It's just packed with people out enjoying the walk and the market", Grahn said.

Her parents had been together for 53 years, she said. She spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing she would be attacked for speaking out.

Archbishop of Barcelona, Cardinal Joan Josep Omella (centre), at a mass to commemorate victims of two devastating terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils at the Sagrada Familia church in Barcelona on August 20, 2017. Reported by La Vanguardia to be 24 and Moroccan.

Early Saturday morning, police searched two buses in northwest Catalonia in the hunt for any remaining members of the cell. Police said controlled explosions would take place throughout the day on Saturday.

Police examining the Alcanar house arrested two Spanish journalists this weekend after they broke the official cordon and tried to gain access to the property, Spain's EFE news agency reports.

Es Satty, abruptly left his post at the Ripoll mosque in June.

Global Affairs Canada urged Canadians in Spain to let their loved ones know they are safe.

"He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces", his family said.

Dernières nouvelles